[uclibc-ng-devel] [ork1] issue with Binutils 2.32 and gcc 9.x

Stafford Horne shorne at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 23:01:34 CEST 2019

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 05:23:12PM +0200, Romain Naour wrote:
> Hi Stafford,
>
> Le 23/08/2019 à 15:47, Stafford Horne a écrit :
> > On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 07:35:33PM +0200, Romain Naour wrote:
> >> Hi Waldemar,
> >>
> >> I discovered an issue with uClibc and binutils 2.32 and gcc 9.1 or 9.2.
> >
> > Hi Romain,
> >
> > Thank you for reporting and doing the initial investigation.  Sorry, I haven't
> > built uclibc-ng for a while.
>
> You're welcome, your help is very appreciated.
> >
> > Have you been able to make much progress?
>
> Yes and no...

I was able to reproduce the issue and did a temporary fix by just deleting the
__syscall_error from or1k_clone.S (2 places).  This fixed the build but probably
not something we really want to do.  But it does point out that the only bad
symbol is the one in or1k_clone.S.

There is a glibc port I am working on getting working right now:

  https://github.com/stffrdhrn/or1k-glibc/blob/upstream-rebase/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/or1k/or1k_clone.S

It seems to have the same code.  But it does not have this problem.  The macro
for SYSCALL_ERROR_NAME is probably getting evaluated differently in glibc vs
uclibc-ng.

This fix should not be too hard.  SYSCALL_ERROR_NAME is only being used on
or1k_clone.S.  Let's try to see what is the right thing to replace it with for
uclibc-ng.

-Stafford